How to create a projector for launching Habbo Shockwave client via an executable file

treebeard

shockwave+projector.gif

So the ability to make a projector for Shockwave era Habbo comes from the fact that tomysshadow built LeechProtectionRemovalHelp-Xtra, which essentially allows you to hack on Director without editing dirapi.dll.

You are gonna need this xtra in your Xtra folder, found at /home/anon/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Macromedia/Director MX 2004/Configuration/Xtras/ on Linux, then you can fire up Director and create a new movie with a single script member:

Code:
on exitFrame me
  setTheRunMode("AuthorPlugin")
  forceTheExitLock(0)
  disableGoToNetPage()
  setExternalParam("sw2", "connection.info.host=127.0.0.1;connection.info.port=11235")
  setExternalParam("sw4", "connection.mus.host=127.0.0.1;connection.mus.port=11236")
  setExternalParam("sw3", "client.reload.url=127.0.0.1/client.html")
  setExternalParam("sw1", "site.url=127.0.0.1;url.prefix=127.0.0.1")
  setExternalParam("sw5", "external.variables.txt=external_variables.txt;external.texts.txt=external_texts.txt")
  go(1, "habbo.dcr")
end startup

Essentially we tell the client to disable browser calls, override the sw params that are used in the browser (don't think you can normally set these in Director, it's part of the hack), and then call the Habbo movie which will handle the rest of the cast calls normally but from the executable file. After this you can go File > Publish Settings and in here is where you can add things like specific Shockwave version, executable file name, icon for the executable file, etc. Once done, publish and you will end up with an executable file that you can launch from the desktop with Shockwave bundled inside.

Picture of Publish Settings:

YjL9rpE.png

From here you just need to be sure that the filesystem is setup with the client files in one directory along with the projector and the necessary Xtras for Habbo, along with the original leech protection Xtra we downloaded.

The directory contents should look something like this:

WLCAIBr.png

This is essentially how Sulake was able to create the desktop application that is launched from the Habbo launcher for Habbo Origins.

Thanks for reading this guide, I do not take credit for anything really other than making this tutorial awhile back in the Oldskooler.org Discord server. I wanted to start moving some of the info in Discord to the forum so that it does not get lost and to make it more accessible for people, especially now that Origins has created a lot of renewed interest in Shockwave era Habbo.

GQoZ5pGXYAEkYVX.png

None of this would be possible if it were not for:
- tomysshadow, who created LeechProtectionRemovalHelp-Xtra
- Quackster, who helped build the first projector for Shockwave Habbo, runs this forum/the Discord, and has made countless other contributions to the Habbo community over the years
- Paswrd, who created the image found at the top of this thread
- Countless other people in the Habbo community who have worked hard to keep old school Habbo development alive even when very few seemed to actually care

Last edited:
I was the first one back in 2019 who discovered I could do this with that Xtra, and I didn't realise how revolutionary at the time it would become. :)

I was the first one back in 2019 who discovered I could do this with that Xtra, and I didn't realise how revolutionary at the time it would become. :)
yepp i remember showing you and @Moogly the Shockwave Discord server where you met tommy who showed you how to use his Xtra to pull it off. crazy how far we have come as a community and how by all of us pushing forward and continuing to build cool shit we have pretty much gotten $ulake to open their own Shockwave retro lmao

What Xtras are required in the projector directory along with the .exe after publishing? Also, which DCR cast files are needed in the directory?

It loads past the Sulake logo (without progress bar) and then shows a black screen with the title: "FuseClient(tm) : :"

Back