Hi, i'm Ewout

Ewout

Have been around for more than a decade now. Did some development here and there.

Was one of the first to buy Woodpecker from Nillus, shared it with scottstamp and others. Altered it into a ION/Deltar+Woodpecker v21 hybrid at some point, paired with a heavily modified PHPRetro back in '12. Sadly that source code is lost in time (there's a screenshot though) (custom made hotelview by me and HabMoon, note the enlarged logo with "five star luxury", v18/Hebbo style buttons (thicker and more glossy), various new buttons and more v21 style icons everywhere in the CMS. I really really should've put this on SVN. I will re-create it someday).

Released SWF packs regularly during the uberEmu era ('10 - '11). Contributed a bit to continued development of Woodpecker in '11 - '13 together with Near, Alito and some other guy I forgot the username of.

Made some contributions to Kepler when it was still in early development (mostly towards the C99 version (yes, it was in C first before Java 😁), see here).
IMHO, the C version should be revived, it was so ridiculously fast and lightweight on resources.

Built a content management system called Matcha for Kepler. It used the '07 layout of the Habbo website in a perfect 1:1 re-creation, a layout often forgotten about; yet the best one. Inspired by the unreleased CMS that Near developed for his retro/test hotel during his continued development on Woodpecker in '11 - '13.

There's also an accompanying housekeeping called Turmeric, with the '04 - '09 ASE styling that I never finished.

Both were created and used for a publicly accessible beta test hotel for Kepler called oldHabbo.

My future plans hold: creating the first truly multi version virtual actor based emulator. One that can scale to baffling numbers. The tech is out there, just need to allocate a few months of development time to it. Something similar to Leon Hartley's endeavors.

Paired at the same time with recreating the oldskool client in OpenFL (with WebAssembly as target).

But first I got bills to pay, and lots of them. So maybe next year. Allocating a few months to some projects, without going broke, is not something I can afford to do at the moment. Not full time all week at least (which is my preferred way of tackling projects -- singular focus).

Last edited:
I knew you would find your way here in time, happy to see another familiar face!

Re-creating the Shockwave client in any modern technology would be amazing, ++ if its modular enough to support plugins/configuration to support every Shockwave revision from the same base.

Welcome Ewout! Please to see you joined, happy to see another old face around! :3

And yeah holy shit the C99 version of Kepler was stupid fast. I should pick it up again some time in the future, the main issue I recall was having thread safety/concurrency issues, but I've learnt a lot since then (after all, this was before Kepler (Java) and Havana). If I would do it again, I would approach quite a few things very differently.

Back