Maybe add chat?

Paswrd

There's a plugin I use on my Xenforo forum called "Chat by Siropu". It shows as a chat system above the forum list, all of the old forums had this back in the day (yes I'm old enough to have seen even forums change over the years lol) Just an easy way to public chat with everyone. Plugin size is also variable/adjustable so you can make it way smaller then I have it set as. Just an idea, loving the forum so far!

Maybe, the plugin costs money though. I already am paying for server costs (one for the forum and another to host the archive files) and I paid a lot out of pocket for the XenForo license. I'll see, if there's enough demand for it, maybe user upgrades can help cover the costs in future.

Last edited:
There's also Lemmy and its alternative user-interface called lemmyBB, which I rather like; as it builds atop of new ActivityPub standards. Probably could turn lemmyBB into a XenLemmy theme within a week or so. But it's less known and any custom features like a chat would have to be created.

Last edited:
Maybe, the plugin costs money though. I already am paying for server costs (one for the forum and another to host the archive files) and I paid a lot out of pocket for the XenForo license. I'll see, if there's enough demand for it, maybe user upgrades can help cover the costs in future.
Honestly, I felt that. lol
A lot of us are glad to support once a means for VIP and other cool functions get added. Just thought I'd bring it up though! :)

Didn't mean to come off hostile earlier, I just have personal gripes with anything proprietary, and that's not relevant here.

Made a new discussion about cutting hosting costs here.
Ehh, there's some stuff that you use open source but other things you don't cheap out on. Personally the chat feature is well worth paying for up front IMO and is super optimized to not take up server resources like quite a few other free plugins. But I guess you just have to weigh your odds. Xenforo also offers quite a few free plugins, themes, alternatives directly on their customer forums too that only require you to have a license key for your purchase of Xenforo.

this would be cool, Discord is a bit of a walled garden so I appreciate having a dedicated chat on the forum.

re: costs to run the site, @Quackster I personally would be more than happy to donate some $$ for the cause and I'm sure there are others who feel the same way. upgrades on the forum definitely work but even if you just had a patreon or something I'd be glad to toss some funds your way :)

this would be cool, Discord is a bit of a walled garden so I appreciate having a dedicated chat on the forum.

re: costs to run the site, @Quackster I personally would be more than happy to donate some $$ for the cause and I'm sure there are others who feel the same way. upgrades on the forum definitely work but even if you just had a patreon or something I'd be glad to toss some funds your way :)
That's cool to hear, thanks. :)

And yeah you're right about Discord being a walled garden - which is precisely why I opened this forum.

Back